What is Liposuction?
Liposuction is a procedure that can assist in having e a well-proportioned body by removing unwanted fat from specific areas, including the abdomen, hips, buttocks, thighs, knees, upper arms, chin, back, and even the neck. Liposuction is also known as Lipoplasty, Lipectomy or Liposculpture. Although liposuction is usually not intended as a weight-loss technique, it can remove stubborn areas of excess fat that do not respond to traditional weight-loss methods or exercise.
Liposuction can help boost confidence with appearance and self-esteem, but it will not necessarily change your looks to match your ideal. Liposuction can produce excellent results if one has unwanted lumps, bulges, and areas of fat that make certain body parts appear disproportionate.
Liposuction can be performed in conjunction with other cosmetic surgery procedures such as breast augmentations.
Who is a Good Candidate For Liposuction?
If considering liposuction, you will make a good candidate if you:
- have realistic expectations regarding liposuction
- are a normal-weight person who has stubborn areas of excess fat that does not respond to traditional weight-loss methods or exercise
- do not have any serious medical conditions such as diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, or have recently had liposuction near the area to be treated
- are 18 year old or older, and fully understand the liposuction procedure
Initial Consultation for Liposuction
A personal consultation at Park Cities Plastic Surgery is the very first step if you are considering liposuction.
During the consultation at Park Cities Plastic Surgery, Dr. David Liland will assess your physical and emotional health, discuss your expectations in regards to liposuction, and examine the skin for firmness and elasticity.
You will be able to discuss the areas in which you would like to see improvement, the incisions, and the risks involved with liposuction procedure.
At Park Cities Plastic Surgery, Dr. David Liland will be show several pre and post op pictures of liposuction.
Liposuction: The Procedure
The liposuction procedure is performed at Park Cities Plastic Surgery. Dr. David Liland’s office is conveniently located on Oaklawn Avenue near downtown Dallas. Fully equipped with an AAAASF certified operating room, it stands out to be one of the most private and select plastic surgery offices in the Dallas area.
The liposuction procedure used at Park Cities Plastic Surgery is the Power-Assisted liposuction or Tumescent Technique. Tumescent liposuction helps with the removal of fat more easily and reduces blood loss and bruising.
A tiny incision is made near the area to be suctioned. Whenever possible, incisions are hidden within natural folds or contour lines of the skin. A small cannula is inserted though the incision so that its tips penetrates and vacuums the underlying fat.
General anesthesia is used to perform the liposuction procedure. A Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist administers the anesthesia.
You will probably feel tired and sore for several days after the liposuction procedure. However, within one or two days you should be up and around. Within the first weeks the swelling will reach its peak and then begin to go down. Bruising might appear and you may feel numbness on the areas suctioned.
Immediately following the procedure, you will be fitted with a compression garment to control swelling and help your skin to adjust to its new body contour.
Pre & Post-Op Tips for Liposuction
- Do no take any medication that contains aspirin, vitamin E, weight loss medication, or Chinese herbs for two weeks prior to the procedure. A complete drug list will be provided on your pre-op appointment date.
- Arrange for an adult to drive you to and from your surgery. You CAN NOT take a taxi home. You must also arrange for an adult to stay with you for 24 hours after the procedure.
- Do not smoke for at least two weeks prior to the surgery.
- You will be fitted with a compression garment after surgery; you must wear this continuously for six weeks.
- Driving is permitted after a few days, if not taking pain medications.
- You may resume all normal activities after three weeks of the procedure.
Specific recommendations will be suggested when you arrive at Park Cities Plastic Surgery in Dallas.